06 August 2008
Two men's goal: $14,000 to benefit Crisis Ministries and Water Missions

BY CHASE PURDY
The Post and Courier
John Planty seemed nervous.

"Oh my god, I mean, it is ridiculous. Anytime you do anything bigger than yourself there's a little bit of anxiety and excitement."

Planty, 42, and friend Brent McHenry, 32, traveled to San Francisco Wednesday, July 30, to participate in an Iron Man triathlon. For weeks, they'd get out of bed before the sun even rose to start exercising. They hoped to raise more than $14,000, which would be split evenly between Crisis Ministries and Water Missions International.

For McHenry, the triathlon represented more than a race to raise money.

"In 1998, after graduating from college, I biked across country and this is the 10-year reunion on Aug. 2 to completing that. So the idea surfaced as an offspring to that."
Read the full story at The Post and Courier.

Labels:

 
posted by Chase at 12:18 AM |


3 Comments:


At August 6, 2008 at 10:37 AM, Blogger Tony Gonzalez

I like the lede and top of this story, it really moves.

 

At August 6, 2008 at 4:27 PM, Blogger Daniel Silliman

I'll be honest. I giggled at the sexual subtext of the first quote. I did. I'm sorry.

 

At August 6, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Blogger Chase Purdy

Haha, I hadn't even noticed.