01 June 2009


Photobucket

The traffic through Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri was virtually non-existent. I passed within 20 miles of the land of Oatess.

I listened to Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround (the Kinks) and It's Blitz! (the Yeah Yeah Yeahs) before switching over to my playlist.

During the drive I couldn't help but think about Joan Didion, but maybe that's because I'm anticipating the shot between Amarillo and Phoenix most. There's something about her descriptions of the dry wind blowing across a landscape that grabs my attention and leaves me wanting to see the places akin to what she describes.


Missouri, like Kentucky, is heavily wooded. Unlike Kentucky's rolling hills, Missouri has a more jagged edge to it, with deep pockets in the earth filled with forest so thick you can easily imagine getting lost in it.


I met up with Jack in Rolla, Mo. for pizza and a glimpse of University of Missouri at Rolla's Stonehenge replica. While the experience was memorable, this scale model probably lost a lot of it's luster now that I know about Foamhenge, in Virginia. Here's a little Friedlander, to boot.

Apparently Rolla, Mo. was supposed to be named Raleigh, after the North Carolinian city. But, the miners who founded the city were unable to spell very well. Just an interesting tidbit from Jack.





---

I leave tomorrow around 8 a.m. for Amarillo, Texas. Here's a map of this estimated 9 hour and 11 minute trip:

Photobucket

While there I'll be staying with my freshman-year roommate, Brad. I expect to get in at about 8 p.m. I'll be there for two nights before heading out to Phoenix.

During the drive I hope to finish out the first half of my playlist, but I also hope to listen to It's Frightening (the White Rabbits), some Daniel Johnston, and Del the Funky Homosapien.

Labels: , ,

 
posted by Chase at 1:37 AM |


1 Comments:


At June 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Blogger JHitts

Every time I hear your condescending pronunciations I crack up, 24 hours after the fact...